When you think forklifts and warehousing, the next logical consideration is racking and storage. Forklift, racking and storage all tend to go hand in hand.
There is a a huge range of pallet and special purpose racking and shelving products available on the market. Specialist racking and storage manufacturers constantly create unique pallet storage solutions for factories and warehouses that combine with carton conveying and order fulfillment systems to make product management more productive and profitable.
The standard you need to know
Just as with Australian Standards for forklifts there are Australian Standards for pallet racking. Make sure your pallet racking system is designed to the Australian Standard AS4084, as well as getting regular safety audits on all your racking.
Selective Pallet Racking and Raised Storage Areas
When you start planning a racking layout, there are an infinite range of product storage equipment and options available, such as
- Double Deep Racking
- Narrow Aisle Racking
- Deep store High Density Drive-In Racking
If you are in early planning stages, involving your local racking supplier or even talking with your local forklift dealer, can save you a lot of money in the long run.
Selective Pallet Racking
Selective Pallet Racking is a cost effective storage system, which provides direct access to all pallets. It provides high capacity storage, is easily installed and adjusted, and has low equipment and capital costs.
Benefits of this type of racking
- Pallets can be located, accessed and moved individually
- Allows rapid handling of almost all types of palletised goods
- Infinitely adjustable and offering a wide range of options and components to accommodate specialized needs
- Maximizes space use in any warehouse configuration while retaining optimum product accessibility
- Strength and rigidity prevents compression damage to goods
- Bottom level of pallets can be stored on the floor, lowering structure costs
A tip to remember :
Column guards can be fitted to protect your racking from operators and forklift damage
Raised Storage Areas
A raised storage area is the fastest way to add extra floor space within the shell of an existing building. They provide the means to create separate zones within one centralized storage facility.
Racking and storage installations are tailored specifically to the shape of the site and the load bearing requirements. So the racking and storage solution will maximize economy and structural safety. These systems can be designed to accommodate all storage systems from pallet racking and shelving to conveyor systems in integrated warehouses
A tip to remember :
The racking solution needs to be installed in a safe, correct manner which strictly adheres to the manufacturers recommendation. When inquiring about racking suitable for your application. You might be asked the certain questions to ensure the correct type is quoted.
Questions you might get asked about your racking requirements
- Do you presently use racking?
- If yes, what type ie: Selective, Double Deep, Drive In, etc.
- What are your primary objectives? Ie: Increase capacity, Improve storage of products, Rotation of stock.
- Do you use a Forklift? If yes, what type? Ie: Reach truck, Counterbalance etc.
Material handling, forklifts, racking and storage is a very specialized industry with very specific product knowledge. Taking to your local racking specialist, and forklift dealer can save you both time and money in your business.