Sometimes you need to put your forklift in storage for a short time, it’s common to see plenty of forklifts stuck and the corner and forgotten about. It’s the absolute worst thing you can do to a piece of machinery especially a forklift. So here we give you 8 of the best tips to properly store a Forklift.
Generally the following storage procedures are for conditions and temperatures above 0° C (32_F). Just adjust these procedures to suit any for local conditions and any changes in conditions during the storage.
The preparations necessary for storage are also determined from the following conditions:
- Short–term storage is from 1 to 6 months. Long–term storage is over 6 months.
- Storage Location. A lift truck stored indoors will not require as much external protection as a lift truck stored outdoors.
Short -Term Storage
Do the following steps to prepare the lift truck for storage from 1 to 6 months:
- Check lubricant and fluid levels. Completely fill the fuel tank. Verify the coolant mixture will protect cooling system and engine to lowest temperature expected during storage. Verify all caps and dipsticks are installed correctly.
- Fully lower the forks or carriage. Tilt mast forward until the tips of the forks touch the ground. Apply a thin coat of engine oil to the cylinder rods.
- Check that all switches and accessories are in the OFF position.
- If the lift truck must be left on an incline, put blocks on the down hill side of the wheels so that the lift truck can not move. Apply the hand brake.
- Disconnect the battery cables from the batteries. Apply a protective coat to the cable connectors and battery terminals to prevent corrosion.
- Check the tire pressure. Verify the tires have the correct pressure. See the Nameplate.
- Clean the lift truck and engine compartment to prevent corrosion.
- If the lift truck is not stored in a shelter, put a cover over the lift truck to prevent damage from the weather. In wet conditions, a cover will not prevent corrosion to a lift truck that is in long–term storage outside of a dry storage area.